Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday

Today is Maundy Thursday; maundy meaning 'commandment.'

On this Thursday before Easter we remember the night that Jesus took the disciples to the upper room and together they had their last supper. We remember and reflect upon the commandments set out for us that evening as Jesus washed the feet of his disciples and broke bread and drank wine declaring a new covenant...our salvation in his death and resurrection.

For me, Holy Week has become a time of reconnection and recommital in my relationship with God. Maundy Thursday, in particular, illustrates the intimacy possible in a relationship with God...and paints a picture of grace: "the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God." {link}

My heart aches when I think how bittersweet those moments in the upper room must have been for Jesus, knowing all that was to come in the hours ahead.

***
"After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them."

John 13:12-16
link
{here}





No comments: