Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Brain Dump: 8/13

The term brain dump is a disgusting one, but for lack of a better or more creative term, it's what it will have to be called.

  • Life has become a series of opportunities for boundary setting - more so now, than ever before it seems.  Perhaps this is because in the past I've been every the people pleaser and tried very hard to accommodate at the expense of my own sanity  - and lately, since asserting my boundaries, I've become more aware of times and area in my life where boundaries should and can be established.  I am by no means an expert at doing this, and admittedly it makes me nervous, but as I creep closer to (who am I kidding, I'm rapidly approaching) thirty, I've found that perhaps my 'knowledge of self' empowers me more to make those distinctions with more confidence. 
  • I've always heard that a woman is in her prime at thirty.  I'm hoping that this is the case.  Part of me thinks it's a confluence of finally not caring so much about people's opinions over your own, understanding how quickly time moves and how it should not be wasted on worrying about trivial things and being far enough down the road of life to have the perfect blend of time/money/physical ability to take on adventure. 
  • I've started to sweat more readily as of late and I don't care for it one bit.  I was never one to sweat, even in sweltering heat, which may or may not prove candidacy for me moving up the Darwin ladder of survival, however, lately, it's like I'm making up for a lifetime of being fresh as a daisy for sweating like a pig.  So unfortunate.
  • I'm prematurely labeling next year as the "Year of Many Weddings".  An unfortunately generic title, however it speaks directly to the fact that a lot of people I know are getting engaged of late and it's going to be a year of celebrating.  Honestly, it should probably hold a post-script as well - something to the tune of "and babies" as really it's the overlapping of the two - the last batch of weddings overlapping with what looks to be the first boom of babies.  I should probably start putting money away in a 'gift fund' as I anticipate 2013 to be a year of copious gift giving. 
  • I've already started Christmas shopping!  I know that some would say (my husband included) that's it too early, however I think if you see the perfect gift, getting it right away is the best option.  I always love to take my time finding the PERFECT gift for people and in the past, starting to shop in late fall made me feel like I was trying to make something work, rather than taking the time to find the perfect gift. 
  • As a result I've become obsessed with ebay.  I can see it developing into one heck of a problem.  And why is it that all the items I want are in Australia or the UK?  Shipping often costs more than the item itself.  Haha.
  • I'm currently reading a book about the influenza epidemic of 1918.  It's fascinating and gruesome at the same time.  I love reading about how the medical community was in a sprint to keep up with/ get ahead of the influenza and how it shaped the fledgling state of health care in the United States at the time.  I have had a couple nightmares about the symptoms of the 1918 influenza recurring in present day but it's not been enough to stop reading.  :)
  • I've been watching the Gilmore Girls, and it's hard for me not to feel like Lorelai Gilmore (the elder) is not the most immature woman EVER.  I've made it to Season Three of Gilmore Girls, but I'm thinking it's not long before I call it quits on the Ladies Gilmore. 
  • We leave for Portland on Wednesday!  Hazzah for vacation!  :)

No comments: